Thursday, December 23, 2010

Critical issues still unfixed

The state of the game at release was unquestionably a disaster, what ever possessed square enix to rush out the game in its completely unfinished state is beyond me. As a die hard FF fan I have played every title in the series start to finish except FF1 and FF-Tactics. I had the highest hopes and joined my current LS/company Cloudy months before the games release. I was and still am a champion white knight of the game on forums around the net. I support the changes in progress and look forward to the many adventures to come. I do think the long term success of this game depends on PS3 release. If they wait too long their chance is over and if they release on PS3 without some critical flaws fixed the game will never reach the solid numbers this game is capable of.

Critical fixes needed:

1. SP system, they better fix the group SP and quick. This might be the single biggest issue with the game in its current state. We need a group party bonus AND a chain bonus for killing T/IT's. It doesn't have to be monster but if you can solo doblyn's and get faster SP then a nice strong party who works hard at their job roles then the system is broken. Yes you can get 15k+ SP/hour doing leve's but ppl dont' like being forced to lvl on a timer schedule.

2. Fatigue/surplus elimination, they better get rid of this by PS3 release. There is no point in slowing progress like this even though it only affects a small number of ppl its only seen as a negative to the game as a whole why push hard core fans away for no reason. I can see keeping it till the PS3 release but not a day after!

3. Auction House creation, They better create an AH just so that people can't say "I want an AH" like it or not a TON of ppl are requiring an AH before they return to play. I personally love retainers but I'm realistic and larger populations is all I care about right now. If creating an AH even if its very restrictive, IE higher taxes (10%?) and 5 slot max? this would go a long way to appeasing the masses. I hope they keep retainers and improve on them but they really need to add the damn AH.

4. More Content, They better create content for all level's the number of quests is absolutely unacceptable for any game/MMO/console. Get quests into the game ASAP in any form, use existing NPC's w/e it takes to get some in. PS: Leve's are NOT an acceptable substitute for quests. Examples: Why not make the new runestones from leve's a part of a quest. You have to take the new runestones to a special place for purification where you bring some normal piece of armor already existing and the stone which unlocks some room in Ul' Dah to a secret synthesis chamber. An NPC then crafts your item whala! you got a nice little quest tied into the new NM's.

My hopes and dreams:

1. Fix gear penalties, I hope they get rid of this lvl 1 running around in lvl 50 gear crap. I don't mind that ppl can equip things higher then optimal lvl but using them in a fighting/synthing context is a bad idea. You should be severely punished for wearing gear higher then your current rank, some quick ways I can think of: remove any stat bonus at all no craftsmanship/control/STR/VIT/HP/MP nothing just the base def/evasion etc listed. another idea would be adding a movement penalty maybe -15% slower movement. -> Too many ppl buy the top lvl gear and just wear it 1-50 since the penalty is not high enough.

2. Further Job Definition, This is really my greatest desier. I want that feeling of "PRIDE" to be a job and reach its milestones. Being an RDM in FFXI and having the pimp hat was special. There is nothing like that in FFXIV. Bring back artifact job quests and make more abilities job specific.

3. Battle Regimen Overhaul, This system is a joke just bring back the basic skillchains and magic bursts I have over 200 rank's in various jobs DOM/DOW/DOH and have still never completed a battle regimen to date. That is SAD!!!! Working out a skillchain was a staple in FFXI play and forced some basic strategy and communication.


Closing Thoughts:

I think I have enough here too keep SE busy for a while, if this all gets taken care of within 6 months time MAX and PS3 releases without a hitch with the changes then FFXIV will take off with flying colors. Follow it up with a big update in the Fall of 2011 introducing a pet class and a samurai class and I think it would solidify FFXIV in the ranks of elite MMO status and start winning the right awards like best new MMO rather then biggest game flops of 2010.

I'm staying positive and enjoying the game now, focusing on what I like and hoping for a brighter future.


No comments:

Post a Comment